Coated denim jeans (also known as "waxed denim") are super stylish and just the right amount of edgy while still being wearable for the average person. The plus side? They have the sexy look of leather pants, without actually BEING leather pants. The drawback? Coated jeans are fairly pricey. You can find bargains, but a quality pair that actually looks the way they're supposed to look (and not just cheap and shiny) is probably going to set you back close to $100. And if you get into the designer arena, think double, triple or quadruple that!
If you can swing it, I say a good pair of coated skinnies is worth the splurge! For one thing, this trend has already been around for a while and it's not going anywhere soon. So it's not like you're spending money on something that will be outdated by Christmas. Additionally, they're very flattering on most body types and they make the right statement, without being over the top. And last, but not least, they're just as versatile as regular denim, if not MORE, so you'll get a lot of use out of them.
Here are some tips on rocking your investment:
1. Make sure they fit you really well. The wax coating makes these jeans a little less stretchy than most denim is these days, so you won't have as much forgiveness if you size down. The benefit is they'll keep their shape really well. Try them on, and don't settle for a pair whose fit you don't love!
2. Get over your need for jeans to be ultra-soft and comfy. Yes, sorry to say, but these jeans just won't be as soft and snugly as your favorite go-to pair of jeans. But that's OK because they look great!
3. Dress them down. You can pretty much wear your coated denim jeans in place of a regular pair of jeans, but your whole outfit will be just a little hotter. (And by hot I mean HAWT.) A casual tank top and sandals; a long-sleeved tee with ballet flats; a printed blouse with ankle boots ... all of these would look great with your slick denim for a slightly revved up, but still casual look.
4. Dress them up! Take the same pair of coated denim, add a pair of suede knee high boots or classic heels and a slinky top, and you're ready for va-va-va voom date night.
5. Wear them to the office. Unless you have a super strict corporate dress code, you can wear coated denim jeans to more than just casual Friday. A sharp pair of black coated denim jeans will look sleek and put-together with a blouse, blazer, and low heels.
6. Go for muted color- coated denim jeans in oxblood are one of my fall favorites...so on trend and chic!
|Not Your Daughter's|
|7 For All Mankind|
|7 For All Mankind|
|Citizens of Humanity|