Wednesday, July 9

Ring Master: Antomy of a Stack

 
I've never really been one for wearing rings, but I'm loving this season's stacked ring trend.  Now, I just want to pile on more and more rings! I love the look of stacking delicate, thin bands together. And with the recent trend of first knuckle rings, I can literally stack them to the top of my fingers!
 
 
First knuckle rings, also called tea rings, midi rings, or memory rings, are meant to be worn above the knuckle. The name "memory ring" refers to a clever trick: move a pinky ring above the knuckle of another finger to remind you to do something.  
 
These rings actually date back to the Renaissance. Apparently, wealthy women wore them to brag that they didn't have to work with their hands in the fields. Nowadays, you can just use them to signify your love of jewelry, or to accent your new manicure.
 
 
The jewelry store Catbird in NYC (https://www.catbirdnyc.com/) was one of the first to popularize this trend, and still has the best selection of first knuckle and stacking rings. Their ever-changing How We Wear It gallery is a great source of inspiration for creative stacks of rings. I'm planning to purchase their Classic, Norah and Heart memory rings, to wear on the top of my middle and ring fingers. I've also got my eye on their Bittersweets NY and maybe a stack of Alphabet Rings with my initials.
 
Classic
Nora
Heart Ring


Bittersweets NY
 
For more inexpensive options, Etsy has a ton of jewelers using less precious materials. I like the simple stacking rings from Modern Chromatic and this dainty Knot Ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment