Friday, February 15

Heel Appeal

     Last night I had the pleasure of viewing the "Shoe Obsession" exhibit at the Museum at FIT, which is NYC's only museum dedicated solely to the art of fashion.  As soon as I walked into that room filled with wall to wall black marble, white fluorescent lighting and rows of glass display cases containing various shapes and sizes of foot candy I knew I was in shoe heaven.  The highlight of my night was when I spotted two of my very own current shoe obsessions right before my eyes in glass display cases.  Both shoes are from Louboutin's Fall 2012/Spring 2013 collections.  They are the red patent leather Pigalle spike pumps (which I posted on yesterday's blog!) and the Very Riches Swarovski crystal peep-toe pumps, which are sure to make every woman's Cinderella dream come true.  There's no greater feeling than seeing two shoes I actually own on display in a museum!
    The exhibit showcased over 150 examples of the twenty-first century's most extraordinary shoe styles from the world's top designers like Christian Dior, Chanel, YSL, Tom Ford, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Jimmy Choo and Christian Louboutin.  "Shoe obsession" features extreme, lavish, and imaginative styles with unconventional design concepts and constructions.  By far, the most avant garde looks were Noritaka Tatehana's Lady Pointe shoes, which measure 18 inches tall and were worn by Lady Gaga during a performance, and Andreia Chaves' Invisible shoes, which feature an asymmetrical facade of mirrors that reflect the wearer’s surroundings.
     Walking through the exhibit I found myself wondering when my own obsession with high heeled shoes began and what's so appealing about them to me? Then it hit me- I was introduced to and have been in love with Manolo Blahniks and Jimmy Choos ever since watching the Sex and the City episode about "A Woman's Right to Shoes."
    As for the mystery behind the "Heel Appeal," there really isn't much mystery at all.  As a woman I know that wearing high heels makes me feel sexy, confident, powerful and sophisticated.  In fact, the higher the heel, the better I feel!  Heels are also a fun accessory that can make the most ordinary outfits stand out.  In fact, when stuck for what to wear, I go first for shoes that thrill and work out the rest of my look from there.
    I would absolutely recommend this exhibit to anyone who is a shoe lover.   I also plan to attend FIT's "Boots: The Height of Fashion" exhibit next month.  According to the museum's website, the exhibit, which runs from March 5 to April 6, will examine "how boots emerged as a modern fashion phenomenon during the last century and evolved to become a staple of the fashionable woman’s wardrobe."   The best part of all is that admission to the museum is always free.  So if you are ever looking to get acquainted with fellow shoe lovers, seeking to admire this ever evolving art form, check out these exhibits! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment